donderdag, april 20, 2006

Interview met Jordan




hi Jordan, how old are you?

I'm seventeen

How long have you been a student in Blue Mountain School?

4 years

How did you find the school?

Actually my mom found it after I left middle school. She told me about this place, so we just went in and had a little walk around and I decided going here.

What do you like about the school?

It's hard to nail down one thing. One of the best things about the school is being able to choose what you want to do with your day. And on top of that having other people to do it with.

Are there things you don't like about the school?

It can be kind of boring while you're in between things to do. Sometimes someone doesn't show up or something, and you run out of subsitutes occasionally, but that doesn't happen too often.

Do you think there are things people learn here that will be valuable in their lives as an adult? And if so, what are they?

You learn to be self-motivated, you learn to do something not because someone tells you to do it, but because it needs to be done. There are lots of lessons, but that's probably the most important one, and the most practical one.

What is hard being a student here, if anything?

If you take on certain responsibilities here, that can be a little difficult, but at the same time it's your choice to take it on, so usally it's not overly difficult.

Do you think that every child could benefit from this kind of education. Why, or why not ?

I think everyone could benefit from it, but that's not to say that it's for everyone. Certain people could certainly benefit more from other schools, but definately everyone could come here and take something with them.

Do you have any plans for what you'll do after you graduate?

I'm taking some college classes, and I'll probably go to the local community college for the first few years and then transfer to the university of Oregon. And from there I don't really know. I'm still trying to decide on things.